When an employee departs from an organization due to resignation or any other reason, several tasks need to be executed. Overlooking crucial steps, such as revoking access rights or collecting laptops and mobile phones, can have several consequences for the company
That’s where an offboarding checklist comes into play.
Why an Offboarding Checklist is Essential
While first impressions are crucial, the final ones are equally significant. The purpose of an offboarding checklist is not only to facilitate knowledge transfer but also to ensure a memorable and positive departure.
A streamlined offboarding process, complemented by a checklist, eases the workflow for HR, IT, and other departments, ensuring no step is missed.
The objective is to offer the departing employee a positive exit experience, capturing feedback along the way to refine the company’s overall employee journey.
Offboarding HR – Checklist
HR is central to the offboarding process. Typically, HR oversees this process, ensuring its smooth execution and adherence to timelines.
Download the complete checklist
- Formally acknowledge the resignation and provide a written termination statement.
- Notify finance, IT, and other pertinent departments immediately.
- Refresh the intranet and other organizational data.
- Consider sending an exit survey.
- Review the offboarding steps for completeness.
- Express gratitude to the employee and finalize benefits.
Offboarding Manager – Checklist
A manager ensures the departing employee’s final moments with the company are memorable. Open communication with the team is key.
- Inform the team and collaborators about:
- The employee’s last day
- Task reallocation
- Timeline for a new hire
- Plan the knowledge transfer. Given the complexity of certain roles, managers and HR should anticipate extended handover periods. The departing employee should detail:
- Key contacts
- Valuable resources
- Ongoing project statuses
- Pending tasks and their urgency
- Conduct an exit interview to gather insights on the employee’s departure reasons and potential organizational improvements.
- Organize a farewell event to recognize the employee’s contributions. Consider a parting gift and a team gathering.
Offboarding Finance – Checklist
Finance plays a pivotal role in offboarding, especially regarding final settlements.
- Settle any outstanding payments or dues, including unused vacation days.
- Determine if the employee owes the company, like advanced leaves.
- Update financial systems and accounts.
- Process the final paycheck.
Offboarding Employee – Checklist
The departing employee has responsibilities too. While they may wish to leave on amicable terms, it’s essential not to overwhelm them.
- Sign the resignation, if needed.
- Document daily duties.
- Transfer knowledge, including essential contacts and documents.
- Complete an exit survey or interview.
- Return company assets, including electronics.
Offboarding IT – Checklist
IT’s role in offboarding is paramount, particularly concerning data security and access.
- Retrieve company assets, ensuring the brand’s reputation remains intact. Collect items such as:
- Computers and phones
- Keys and IDs
- Parking permits
- Company cards and vehicles
- Revoke digital access to safeguard sensitive data. This includes:
- Password updates
- License terminations
- Access revocations
- Redirect emails and set auto-responses to maintain communication continuity.
- Update the company website, removing the departing employee’s details upon their exit.
Offboarding Checklist Summary
An offboarding checklist ensures a structured and dignified departure process for employees leaving an organization. It addresses essential tasks, from revoking access to retrieving company equipment, to prevent potential organizational risks. The checklist serves as a tool to facilitate knowledge transfer, offer a positive exit experience, and capture feedback for continuous improvement. Key departments like HR, IT, and Finance have specific roles in this process, from overseeing the procedure to final settlements. The departing employee also has responsibilities, ensuring a smooth transition. Overall, the offboarding checklist aims to leave a lasting positive impression while safeguarding the company’s interests.